The single most important event in the history of the world is happening here.
The RESURRECTION . . . it is what Easter is all about. Without this resurrection we have no hope. With it, we have hope and eternal life in Heaven with God! Here are just a few observations:
1. People were really mean and viscous to Jesus…they will be to you and me too. Try not to be that type of person:)
2. “They compelled a certain man, Simon a Cyrenian the father of Alexander and Rufus…to bear His cross.” Remember from now on everyone coming in contact with Jesus would smell and taste and have on them the alabaster oil that Mary broke over Jesus. This includes Simon here who’s son Rufus is mentioned later in scripture faithfully. Sometimes what appears to be a random and forced event in your life is a gateway to blessing beyond even your imagination! Simon here is the ONLY person to ever have carried the cross of Jesus…think about it!
3. While Jesus is dying…for the sins of all mankind people are walking past Him mocking him and hurting his feelings. Relentless attack and meaness by others can wear us down…keep hiding yourself in Jesus, He understands your pain!
4. “Then the veil of the Temple was torn in two from top to bottom.”
This veil being torn stopped for good the need for an intercession between God and man other than Jesus. Jesus is now our access to the throne of grace by faith in His finished works here on the cross. The Catholic tradition of “confessional” is superfluous to say the least.
5. The Centurion “who stood opposite Him…said, Truly this man was the Son of God.” This is the same guy mentioned in Matt 8:5.
See, no matter what you are going through, like Jesus, there are people (like your kids, family and friends), who are watching you and who will be saved as you go through withering attack. Your faithfulness matters!
Lastly, not one that is, none, of Jesus bones were broken. This is amazing since He was beaten and whipped mercilessly. Why is this important? Well, in our bones is where blood is made. It is in the blood of the Lamb (Jesus) that we are saved, healed and cleansed. In a very real way the blood flow from Jesus is still uninterrupted from Him to us in order to cover our sins. The fact that none of His bones were broken means you and I have unlimited access to the blood of the lamb daily to cover our sins, help others receive the free gift of grace and walk in a continual flow of fresh start after fresh start as we receive the fact that, “His mercies are new every morning.”
Enjoy this Easter season…it means something very intimate to each of us!